register for a free guide

Subscribe via email today


8
Mar

© Ove Tøpfer; www.sxc.hu

New studies have shown that protein is able to satisfy hunger better than fats or carbohydrates and therefore high protein diets have become more popular to achieve weight loss.

A study reported in the Journal of Nutrition showed that a high-protein diet combined with exercise enhanced weight and fat loss and improved blood fat levels. Researchers suggest that higher-protein diets help people better control their appetites and calorie intake.

Participants in a study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition reported greater satisfaction, less hunger, and weight loss when fat was reduced to 20 percent of the total calories in their diets, protein was increased to 30 percent, and carbohydrates accounted for 50 percent. The study participants ate some 441 fewer calories a day when they followed this high-protein diet and regulated their own calorie intake.

High protein and moderate carbohydrate diets along with regular exercise are often touted by the experts to reduce blood fats, maintain lean tissue, burn stored fat and combat constant hunger.

There is not a clear understanding of how the protein works to turn off the appetite. Researchers have surmised that it may be because a high-protein diet causes the brain to receive lower levels of appetite-stimulating hormones. It may be due to eating fewer carbohydrates and/or the specific protein effect on hunger hormones and brain chemistry.

Everyone needs protein at all stages of life, for a variety of bodily functions. It is the major component of the cells, including muscle and bone. It is needed for growth, development, and immunity to fight off infections and protect the body.

The DRI recommendations allow for a wide range of protein intake from 10 percent to 35 percent of total calories for a healthy adult without any underlying medical condition.

Most people following a western lifestyle have no problem meeting this goal. There are no dangers associated with higher intakes of protein – unless you have kidney disease. To get the potential weight loss benefit, experts advise aiming for around 120 grams of protein a day. If you want to increase your protein intake, do it slowly over the course of a week. To be on the safe side, check with your doctor before adding large amounts of protein to your diet.

Losing weight is a simple math of consuming less calories and using more calories. However, it is difficult to put it into practice. Finding a diet with the right combination of nutrients, that you enjoy, is easy to work with and that fits into your lifestyle may be difficult and is a very individualized process.

For better appetite control, try dividing your daily calories into smaller meals or snacks and enjoying as many of them as possible early in the day, with dinner being the last meal usually works best. Research has shown that eating four to five small meals or snacks per day to control appetite and weight. Taking that to the next step, add some protein to each of your meal and snack can help you stay on track.

Remember that while protein is important, carbohydrates, fats, and total calories are also important. For a higher protein diet, include lean and low-fat sources of protein at every meal as part of a calorie-controlled diet. You should also stock up on ‘smart carbs’ such as fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, along with healthy fats like nuts, seeds, olives, oils, fish, and avocado. Not all protein is created equal. Be sure to look for protein sources that are nutrient-rich and lower in fat and calories, such as lean meats, beans, soy, and low-fat dairy.

Category : Diet Reviews

One Customer Review of “High Protein Diet For Weight Loss”

Review by Pauline, April 21, 2012

I recently embarked on a high protein diet called Go Lower. I have type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure for which I take medication but my results were never very good. I have been on the diet for about 9 weeks and have lost just over 2 stones in weight, my blood sugar is at its lowest level for several years and my blood pressure is amazing at 120/60. I don’t feel hungry on this diet and I would recommend it to anyone. If anyone is interested they have a website online

Write a Review of High Protein Diet For Weight Loss